Tuesday, December 18, 2012

#AuthorInterview : Linda Caroll-Bradd, Romance Writer



Today my fellow Christmas Magic author, the lovely Linda Caroll-Bradd, has agreed to let me pick her brain! Thanks so much for visiting, Linda.

Thanks for hosting me, Terri.



Let's get started. What inspired Wishes Come True? 

Because I didn’t grow up in a small town, I always wished I lived in one and think I’ve probably idealized that experience and. So I reversed that set-up—imagined a woman who’d grown up in a small town and wanted to get out, to explore.

What comes first for you – the story or the character?

Character. I need to imagine the person first (archetype, a couple personality quirks, sometimes the name) and then I put that character in a setting that usually is part of why the goal isn’t met.

If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?

Thirty-six—the age I was after my youngest daughter was born. My nuclear family was complete.

If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?

Offer college tuition to my adult children.  A career life without a degree is tough and a college education is such a future-shaping experience.

If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?

Elizabeth Bennett, heroine of my favorite book. She’s smart, witty, stands up for herself, and is willing to reassess her opinions.

What would you name the autobiography of your life?

Changes That Made Me Stronger

Can you keep secrets? Describe a time you didn't.

When I was about ten, I peeked at a Christmas present that was to be shared by my two sisters and me. Of course, our parents had forbidden us to look at the blanket-covered block behind the sofa. For a week before the big day, I knew what our present was. Although I didn’t admit it aloud, I had totally spoiled my parents’ secret and wrecked my own surprise.

Can you tell us what you’re working on now?

I’m working on a historical story with a working title of Mirror Images featuring a heroine (a twin) who left behind a career on the New York burlesque stage to become a teacher in a frontier Wyoming territory town. The hero is a lawyer by day and dime novelist by night who writes about his experiences coming to the frontier and his adventures in gold mining. Halfway through the story, the twin sister arrives and causes havoc with the “good” sister’s reputation. So far, I’m having great fun with the research.

On December 20th, I’m holding a drawing for a copy of Christmas Magic for those who either subscribe to my blog at http://blog.lindacarroll-bradd.com or follow me at my author Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linda-Carroll-Bradd-author/440814942635289




BLURB FOR WISHES COME TRUE:

Tora can’t wait to sell the family bakery run by generations of Hammond women and seek excitement outside of Dorado, Texas. Widower Ryan Dawson, the town’s star quarterback from a decade ago, returns to his hometown with plans to develop a sporting goods store. He also hopes a small town Christmas will cheer up his five-year-old daughter, Jenna, still recovering from the loss of her mother. Will the spark of interest Tora sees in Ryan’s eyes be the excitement she’s looking for?



PURCHASE LINKS:







As a child, Linda was often found lying on her bed reading about characters having exciting adventures in places far away. Upon reaching a landmark birthday, she decided to write one of those romances she loved so much. Easier said than done. Perseverance paid out and twelve years later, she received her first call from a publisher and a confession story was published. Now Linda writes heartwarming contemporary and historical stories with a touch of humor, and many have a tie to her previous home of Texas.

Linda currently lives in the southern California mountains with her husband of 34 years and their two spoiled dogs, Shiba Inu Keiko and terrier mix Phoenix. 


STALK LINKS:




No comments:

Post a Comment